Dr Karen Hussey is a Senior Lecturer at the Fenner School of Environment and Society, at the ANU, where she undertakes research in the field of environmental policy and politics, water resource management, the climate-energy-water nexus, and global environmental governance.
Her most recent publications include a Cambridge University Press book Water Resources Planning and Management (with Prof. Quentin Grafton), and a special issue of the international journal Ecology and Society dedicated to the energy-water nexus (September 2011), and another of the Australian Journal of International Affairs (June 2011).
Karen is Co-Chair of the ANU Water Initiative, Program Director of the ANU-USSC 'AUSCEW' project on climate-energy-water links, Co-Chair of the European-funded, international “Water-Energy Links” (WEL) project, Board Member for the ANU-UNESCO Chair in Water Economics and Transboundary Water Governance, and Chief Investigator for an ARC Linkage project on trade and investment relations between Australia and the European Union.
In addition to her research, Karen convenes two courses at the Fenner School: ENVS2013 Society and Environmental Change; and ENVS3028 Environmental Policy. Prior to taking up her position at the Fenner School, Karen was based in Brussels for 3.5 years as The Australian National University Vice Chancellor’s Representative in Europe, where she was responsible for developing the ANU’s research relationships and profile with European research teams and institutions.
Karen has a PhD in Political Science from the University of Melbourne, an M.Econ.Sc from University College Dublin, Ireland, and a B.A (Economics and Politics) from the University of Melbourne.
- Hussey, K & Kenyon, D 2011, 'Regulatory divergences: A barrier to trade and a potential source of trade disputes', Australian Journal of International Affairs, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 381-393.
- Henriksen, C, Hussey, K & Holm, P 2011, 'Exploiting Soil-Management Strategies for Climate Mitigation in the European Union: Maximizing "Win-Win" Solutions across Policy Regimes', Ecology and Society, vol. 16, no. 4, p. 22.
- Grafton, Q. and K.Hussey, 2011. Water Resources Planning and Management: Challenges and Solutions, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- Hussey, K. 2011, Water Security, in Encyclopaedia of Sustainability, V3: The Law and Politics of Sustainability, Berkshire Publishing, Massachusetts, US.
- Hussey, K., D. Kenyon, 2011 (eds), Trade and Investment Issues for the 21st Century: Perspectives from the EU-Australia relationship, Special Issue of the Australian Journal of International Affairs, September edition.
- Hussey, K. and J. Pittock (eds) 2011, The Energy-Water Nexus: Managing the Links between Energy and Water for a Sustainable Future, Special Issue of Ecology and Society. September edition.
- Hussey, K & Lightfoot, S 2010, 'A new era for EU-Australia relations? sustainable development and the challenge of climate change as litmus test', The Round Table: The Commonwealth Journal of International Affairs, vol. 99, no. 410, pp. 503-513.
- Hussey, K. and A. Schram 2011, Policy Integration and the Energy-Water Nexus: Accounting for, and managing, the links, in Winand, P. and G. Pearman, Securing Sustainable Energy Futures in Europe and Australia, P.I.E PeterLang Publishers, Brussels.
- Duggan, K, Beavis, S, Connell, D et al 2008, Approaches to, and challenges of managing interception: a review of current measurement and management practices for the determination of run-off interception and the implications for the implementation of the National Water Initiative.
- Hussey, K & Dovers, S 2007, 'International perspectives on water policy and management: emerging principles, common challenges', in K Hussey and S Dovers (ed.), Managing water for Australia: the social and institutional challenges, CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne, pp. 141-154.
- Hussey, K 2007, 'Environmental Regulation in the EU', LegalDate, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 9-11.
- Grafton, R & Hussey, K 2007, 'Buying Back the Living Murray: At What Price?', Australasian Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 74-81.
- Hussey, K & Dovers, S, eds, 2007, Managing Water for Australia: The Social and Institutional Challenges, CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne.
- Hussey, K & Dovers, S 2006, 'Trajectories in Australian Water Policy', Journal of Contemporary Water Research & education, vol. 1, no. 135, pp. 36-50.
- Hussey, K & Connell, D 2006, 'Water Policy is not that simple', On Line opinion, vol. 1, no. February 2006.
- Hussey, K 2006, 'Sustainable Water Management in Australia, Europe, and the United States', Environmental Law Reporter, vol. 1, no. 4-2006, pp. 10259-10263.