- Jan 2015 – : Visiting Fellow, Fenner School, ANU, working part-time from the UK
- Jan 2013 – Dec 2014 : Senior Researcher and Statistical Consultant, Fenner School of the Environment & Society, Australian National University
- Jul 2011 – Jul 2012: Senior Director, Statistical Consultancy Group, GSK, Stevenage
- Jan 2011 – Dec 2014: Impact Assessor, Mathematical Sciences Sub-panel, REF 2014
- Nov 2009 – Jun 2011: Senior Director, Consultancy & Training, RSU, GSK, Harlow
- Mar 2009 – Dec 2013: Visiting Professor, Department of Health Sciences, University of Leicester
- Oct 2005 – Oct 2009: Director, Consultancy & Training, RSU
- Jan 2003 – Sep 2005: Consultancy & Training Manager, RSU
- Jan 2001 – Dec 2002: Manager, RSU, GlaxoSmithKline, Harlow
- Nov 1999 – Dec 2000: Principal Statistician, RSU, SmithKline Beecham, Harlow
- Apr 1988 – Nov 1999: Unified Grade 7, Statistics Department, Rothamsted Experimental Station, Harpenden
- Oct – Dec 1990: Visiting Fellow, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia (on leave of absence from Rothamsted)
- Apr 1981 – Mar 1988: Senior Scientific Officer, Rothamsted
- May – Jul 1987: Statistical Consultant, Numerical Algorithms Group Inc., Downers Grove, Illinois, USA (on secondment from Rothamsted)
- Apr 1977 – Mar 1981: Higher Scientific Officer, Rothamsted
- Aug 1974 – Mar 1977: Scientific Officer, Statistics Department, Rothamsted
- Apr – Aug 1970: Exchange Student, Donawitz Ironworks, Leoben, Austria
At ANU, research into the use and validity of surrogacy in ecology, and analysis of Fenner long-term studies of land conservation in SE Australia.
- Analysis and display of networks of associations of species in an ecosystem (with David Lindenmayer)
- Application in ecology of established methods for medical surrogacy (with Philip Barton)
- Associations of presence of bird species with gross habitat modification and weather.
At SB and GSK, research arising from the analysis of clinical trials including the following.
- Methods for network meta-analysis, comparing likelihood and Bayesian approaches (with James Roger)
- Methods for meta-analysis of clinical trials, particularly of rare adverse events (with James Roger)
- Methods for handling drop-out in longitudinal clinical trials (with Michael Kenward, Byron Jones and Fiona Holland)
- Models for counts, particularly of exacerbations in respiratory disease, using Poisson and negative binomial regression
- Power and sample-size calculations for binary data
- Model-checking in the analysis of clinical trials
- Methods for calculation of efficiency of treatment effects in unbalanced cross-over trials (with Byron Jones)
At Rothamsted, research arising from the needs of agricultural experimentation.
- Development of generalized nonlinear models, an extension of generalized linear models allowing extra nonlinear parameters
- Generalization of sensitivity (or stability) analysis of variety‑by‑environment experiments to non‑Normally distributed observations (with George Dyke)
- Comparison of the use of generalized linear models with linear methods involving transformation of the response variable
- Problems in analysing contingency tables with many zero entries (with Robert Baker)
Development of the idea of predictions, or standardized means, for the summary of linear and generalized linear models including qualitative variables (with John Nelder)
24. 2014 An empirical assessment and comparison of species-based and habitat-based surrogates: a case study of forest vertebrates and large old trees (with Lindenmayer DB, Barton PS, Westgate MJ, McBurney L, Blair D, Gibbons P, Likens GE). PLOS One 9(2):e89807, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0089807.
25. 2014 Global meta-analysis reveals low consistency of biodiversity congruence relationships (with Westgate M, Barton P, Lindenmayer D). Nature Communications 5, 3899 doi:10.1038/ncomms4899
26. 2014 Robustness of habitat-based surrogates of animal diversity: a multi-taxa comparison over time (with Barton P, Westgate M, MacGregor C, Lindenmayer D). Journal of Applied Ecology doi: 10.1111/1365-2664.12290
27. 2014 An empirical assessment of the focal species hypothesis (with Lindenmayer DB, Westgate MJ, Barton PS). Conservation Biology doi: 10.1111/cobi.12330.
28. 2014 Visualization of species pairwise associations: a case study of surrogacy in bird assemblages (with Lindenmayer DB, Barton PS, Blanchard W, Westgate MJ). Ecology & Evolution 4(16):3279−3289, doi: 10.1002/ece3.1182
29. 2015 Learning from clinical medicine to improve the use of surrogates in ecology (with Barton PS, Pierson JC, Westgate MJ, Lindenmayer DB). Oikos, 124: 391–398 doi: 10.1111/oik.02007
30. 2015 Can habitat surrogates predict the response of target species to landscape change? (with Pierson JC, Barton PS, Lindenmayer DB). Biological Conservation 184:1-10, doi: 10.1016/j.biocon.2014.12.017
31. 2015 A new framework for selecting environmental surrogates (with Lindenmayer DB, Pierson JC, Barton PS, Beger M,Branquinho C, Calhoun A, Caro T, Greig H, Gross J, Heino J, Hunter M, Longo C, Martin K, McDowell WH, Mellin C, Salo H, Tulloch AIT, Westgate M). Science of the Total Environment Aug 2015, doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2015.08.056
32. 2015 Biodiversity surrogates (with Lindenmayer DB, Barton PS, Westgate M, Pierson JC). In Indicators and Surrogates of Biodiversity and Environmental Change, eds Lindenmayer D, Barton P, Pierson J; CSIRO Press.
33. 2015 Use of surrogates in medicine: ideas that may be useful in ecology (with Barton PS). In Indicators and Surrogates of Biodiversity and Environmental Change, eds Lindenmayer D, Barton P, Pierson J; CSIRO Press.
34. 2015 A diversity of approaches to ecological surrogates and key knowledge gaps (with Lindenmayer DB, Pierson JC, Barton PS, Tulloch A, Westgate M). In Indicators and Surrogates of Biodiversity and Environmental Change, eds Lindenmayer D, Barton P, Pierson J; CSIRO Press.
35. 2015 Evaluating the effectiveness of overstory cover as a surrogate for bird community diversity and population trends (with Pierson JC, Mortelliti A, Barton PS, Lindenmayer DB). Ecological Indicators 61:790−798.
36. 2015 Two roles for ecological surrogates: indicator surrogates and management surrogates (with Hunter M, Barton P, Calhoun A, Pierson J, Tulloch A, Westgate M, BegerM, Branquinho C, Caro T, Gross J, Heino J, Longo C, Martin K, McDowell WH, Mellin C, Salo H, Lindenmayer D). Ecological Indicators 63:121−125.
37. 2016 Long-term bird colonization and turnover in restored woodlands (with Lindenmayer DB, Barton PS, Crane M, Ikin K, Michael D, Okada S). Biological Conservation, DOI 10.1007/s10531-016-1140-8.