Weather and climate lie at the heart of those major decisions we make on an everyday basis. What should I wear tomorrow? Should I hang out the washing? Will I get wet if I ride my bike to work? What am I going to do with the kids this weekend? Should I do that concrete pour in the driveway?
This course explores the science of climate, weather and weather forecasting. You will discover how to read a weather map, how to make your own forecasts, whether you can rely on the accuracy of the daily forecasts and much more. If you have an interest in weather and climate or just want to understand what goes into the weather forecast, this is the course for you. The course will feature practical exercises to help you develop your own forecasting skills to make these decisions.
- Topic 1: From sex to science. The history and basis of weather forecasting
- Topic 2: From the ground up. Measuring and observing the weather.
- Topic 3: Australia’s climate: the land of droughts and flooding rains (Clem/Janette).
- Topic 4: What happens when Nature throws a tantrum? Severe weather of Australia.
- Topic 5: Fire, heat and storms. Local Severe weather.
- Topic 6: Turning up the heat. Weather, climate and human activities.
Who should enrol
For those seeking to understand and appreciate the science of weather and climate. Anyone interested in talking about the weather. To Enrol, go to this site: https://www.anu.edu.au/cce/cecourses/scienceandphilosophy/outlines/Willi...