Julie has academic qualifications in Education (University of Technology Sydney) and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Charles Sturt University). Since moving to Canberra in 2002 Julie has worked at Canberra Grammar School, specialising in teaching children with reading difficulties.
In the Fenner School Julie assists graduate students in particular to develop skills in academic reading and writing, and in giving presentations. She conducts classes and workshops focusing on academic skills and language development. In addition Julie holds individual consultations with students in relation to their academic work.
Julie has a particular interest in helping students to develop effective professional communication skills in academic settings, particularly through writing. She encourages students to express themselves effectively and to develop confidence and independence in their academic work.
I am able to assist you in the following ways:
- By providing a weekly practical 1-hour Academic Skills workshop
- By providing a weekly 1-hour workshop on Language Development
- For those that attend the classes above (and for students who are unable to attend do to a timetable clash), I am able to read drafts of your assignments before you submit them to the lecturer and give you feedback on structure, coherence, language, grammar, referencing and presentation issues. Please give me the draft at least 48 hours before you wish to receive feedback.
- By discussing any aspects of your academic work that are worrying you. Please email and make an appointment to see me if you are not coping.
As Academic Skills Advisor to Graduate Scholars at FSES, I assist both International and Australian graduate students, doing coursework and research in FSES, with academic writing, presentations and related aspects of their graduate studies.
My office hours are 8.30 am to 3.30 pm, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (I do not generally work on Tuesdays).
- My office is Room 0.07, Ground Floor, Forestry Building (48)
- My telephone No is 6125 2541 (Ext. 52541 if you are calling from inside ANU)
- My email address is: Julie.Watson@anu.edu.au