Most Bruce's research is focused on social applications of GIS, particularly in the areas of (a) the impact of commercial gambling at a community level, (b) mapping fear of crime and (c) developing mapping approaches for Native Title decision making.
At the moment, he is working with colleagues from Southern Cross University (Associate Professor Martin Young) and Fenner School PhD student (Francis Markham) on an NT Government Funded research project entitled "Mapping Problem Gambling in the Northern Territory". Despite remote areas being well provisioned with Electronic Gaming Machines (EGMs), and the fact that pubs and clubs are important foci for outback towns, the impact of EGMs in remote areas is very poorly understood. The primary aim of the project is to examine the relationships between poker machine venues, the communities that support them and levels of associated social harm across northern Australia.
Bruce has an ongoing partnership with the Yawuru people, the traditional owners of country in and around Broome, Western Australia. The partnership focuses on developing practical uses of GIS to support Native Title decision making. In 2016, Dean Mathews (Fenner School visiting fellow and Yawuru man) and Bruce were given the ANU Vice Chancellor's award for Indigenous Education.
- "GIS and Spatial Analysis" (EVNS2015/6015) provides a theoretical background to the area as well as a practical basis for using GIS to assist in decision making.
- "Solving Complex Environmental Problems" (ENVS3040/6025, Co-taught with Dr Lorrae van Kerkhoff) exposes continuing students to a challenging range of current biophysical and urban problems.
- "Advanced Remote Sensing and GIS" (ENVS3019/6319 Co-taught with Professor Albert Van Dijk, biennial format).
- "Honours Research Skills" (ENVS4001) taught in both semesters for Fenner School Honours students
- Noble, M, Harasti, D, Pittock, J et al 2019, 'Understanding the spatial diversity of social uses, dynamics, and conflicts in marine spatial planning', Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 246, pp. 929-940pp.
- Solichin, S, Andersen, H, Brack, C et al 2017, 'Advanced Land Cover Mapping of Tropical Peat Swamp Forest using Discrete Return Lidar', Geoplanning: Journal of Geomatics and Planning, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1-8pp.
- Markham, F, Young, M & Doran, B 2017, 'Improving spatial microsimulation estimates of health outcomes by including geographic indicators of health behaviour: The example of problem gambling', Health & Place: An International Journal, vol. 46, pp. 29-36pp.
- Adams-Schimminger, M, Fifield, G, Doran, B et al 2017, 'Woodland rehabilitation and biodiversity conservation in an agricultural landscape in south Eastern Australia', Case Studies in the Environment, vol. Online, pp. 1-14pp.
- Markham, F, Young, M, Doran, B et al 2017, 'A meta-regression analysis of 41 Australian problem gambling prevalence estimates and their relationship to total spending on electronic gaming machines', BMC Public Health, vol. 17, no. 495, pp. 11pp.
- Markham, F, Bath, J, Taylor, J et al 2013, New directions in Indigenous service population estimation.
- Potter, S, Doran, B & Mathews, D 2016, 'Modelling collective Yawuru values along the foreshore of Roebuck Bay, Western Australia using fuzzy logic', Applied Geography, vol. 77, pp. 8-19.
- Sloan, N, Doran, B, Markham, F et al 2016, 'Does base map size and imagery matter in sketch mapping?', Applied Geography, vol. 71, pp. 24-31.
- Markham, F, Doran, B & Young, M 2016, 'The relationship between electronic gaming machine accessibility and police-recorded domestic violence: A spatio-temporal analysis of 654 postcodes in Victoria, Australia, 2005-2014', Social Science and Medicine, vol. 162, pp. 106-114.
- Markham, F, Young, M & Doran, B 2016, 'The relationship between player losses and gambling-related harm: evidence from nationally representative cross-sectional surveys in four countries', Addiction, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 320-330.
- Markham, F & Doran, B 2015, 'Equity, discrimination and remote policy: Investigating the centralization of remote service delivery in the Northern Territory', Applied Geography, vol. 58, pp. 105-115.
- Ens, E, Pert, P, Clarke, P et al 2015, 'Indigenous biocultural knowledge in ecosystem science and management: Review and insight from Australia', Biological Conservation, vol. 181, pp. 133-149.
- Markham, F, Young, M & Doran, B 2014, 'Gambling expenditure predicts harm: evidence from a venue-level study', Addiction, vol. 109, no. 9, pp. 1509-1516.
- Markham, F, Doran, B & Young, M 2014, 'Estimating gambling venue catchments for impact assessment using a calibrated gravity model', International Journal of Geographical Information Science, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 326-342.
- Markham, F, Doran, B & Young, M 2014, 'The spatial extents of casino catchments in Australia', Growth and Change, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 60-78.
- Taylor, J, Doran, B, Parriman, M et al 2014, 'Statistics for Community Governance: The Yawuru Indigenous Population Survey, Western Australia', International Indigenous Policy Journal, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 1-31.
- Jones, E, Caprarelli, G, Mills, F et al 2014, 'An Alternative Approach to Mapping Thermophysical Units from Martian Thermal Inertia and Albedo Data Using a Combination of Unsupervised Classification Techniques', Remote Sensing, vol. 6, pp. 5184-5237.
- Doran, B & Young, M 2013, 'Assessing the impact of a remote area casino: A mixed-methods approach using cognitive mapping and GIS', Rural Society, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 20-31.
- Young, M, Markham, F & Doran, B 2013, 'Gambling Spaces and the Paradox of Aboriginal Social Inclusion', in Rhonda Craven, Anthony Dillon and Nigel Parbury (ed.), In Black & White: Australians All at the Crossroads, Connor Court Publishing, Ballan Australia, pp. 275-286.
- Markham, F, Young, M & Doran, B 2013, 'Detection of Problem Gambler Subgroups Using Recursive Partitioning', International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 281-291.
- Young, M, Markham, F & Doran, B 2012, 'Too close to home? The relationships between residential distance to venue and gambling outcomes', International Gambling Studies, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 257-273.
- Lea, T, Young, M, Markham, F et al 2012, 'Being Moved (On) The Biopolitics of Walking in Australia's Frontier Towns', Radical History Review, vol. 114, no. 114, pp. 139-163.
- Young, M, Markham, F & Doran, B 2012, 'Placing Bets: gambling venues and the distribution of harm', Australian Geographer, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 425-444.
- Markham, F, Young, M & Doran, B 2012, 'The relationship between alcohol consumption, gambling behaviour and problem gambling during a single visit to a gambling venue', Drug and Alcohol Review, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 770-777.
- Young, M, Doran, B & Markham, F 2013, 'Gambling Spaces and the Racial Dialectics of Social Inclusion: A Case Study of a Remote Australian Casino', Geographical Research, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 192-203pp.
- Doran, B & Burgess, M 2012, Putting Fear of Crime on the Map, Springer, New York USA, 283p.
- Young, M, Lamb, D & Doran, B 2011, 'Gambling, Resource Distribution, and Racial Economy: An Examination of Poker Machine Expenditure in Three Remote Australian Towns', Geographical Research, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 59-71.
- Doran, B & Young, M 2010, ''Mobile mindsets': EGM venue usage, gambling participation, and problem gambling amoung three itinerant groups on the Sunshine Coast of Australia', International Gambling Studies, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 269-288.
- Doran, B & Young, M 2010, 'Predicting the spatial distribution of gambling vulnerability: An application of gravity modeling using ABS Mesh Blocks', Applied Geography, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 141-152.
- Young, M, Lamb, D & Doran, B 2009, 'Mountains and Molehills: a spatiotemporal analysis of poker machine expenditure in the Northern Territory of Australia', Australian Geographer, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 249-269.
- Boyd, W, Healey, R, Hardwick, S et al 2008, ''None of Us Sets Out To Hurt People': The Ethical Geographer and Geography Curricula in Higher Education', Journal of Geography in Higher Education, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 37-50.
- Doran, B, McMillen, J & Marshall, D 2007, 'A GIS-based Investigation of Gaming Venue Catchments', Transactions in GIS, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 575-595.
- McMillen, J & Doran, B 2006, 'Problem Gambling and Gaming Machine Density: Socio-spatial Analysis of Three Victorian Localities', International Gambling Studies, vol. 6(1), no. June 2006, pp. 4-37.
- Doran, B & Lees, B 2005, 'Investigating the Spatiotemporal Links Between Disorder, Crime, and the Fear of Crime', Professional Geographer, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 1-12.