Dr Katherine Daniell is an Associate Professor in the Fenner School of Environment & Society and the Research Lead at the 3A Institute - the ANU's first innovation institute with the mission of building a new applied science to 'manage the machines'.
Dr Daniell's current research focusses on the challenges of implementing collaborative approaches to policy and action for sustainable development. In this field, she has recently worked in Europe and the Asia-Pacific on projects related to international science and technology cooperation, water governance, risk management, sustainable urban development and climate change adaptation.
Dr Daniell has produced over 100 academic publications, including 4 books and a diverse range of book chapters, papers, reports and edited collections.
In research management and cooperation building roles, Dr Daniell has been the ANU's European Research Development Manager and is currently President of the Australian-French Association for Research and Innovation (AFRAN) Inc.
She has previously worked in the ANU's Centre for European Studies, Centre for Policy Innovation and the H.C. Coombs Policy Forum at the Crawford School of Public Policy on a range of Australian Public Service - ANU and international cooperation projects, including the PACE-Net and PACE-Net+ EU projects on developing Pacific-European bi-regional dialogue on science, technology and innovation.
She has previously taught executive development courses for the Australian National Institute for Public Policy (ANIPP) on multi-level governance and convened Masters and undergraduate courses in the Fenner School on Environmental Policy and Participatory Resource Management.
Dr Daniell has received many awards and honours for her work including a John Monash Scholarship and election as a Fellow of the Peter Cullen Water and Environment Trust. She has served on the ACT (2009-2011, 2015-2016) and National (2013-2014) Selection Panels for the John Monash Scholarships.
Dr Daniell currently serves as a member of the National Committee on Water Engineering (Engineers Australia), Director and Board Member of the Peter Cullen Water and Environment Trust, a member of the Initiatives of the Future of Great Rivers and is the Editor of the Australasian Journal of Water Resources.
- Daniell, KA & Daniell, TM 2018, 'When does a road become a river? Why hydrologists and water planners need to move beyond averages', Australian Journal of Water Resources, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 1-4.
- Ayre, ML, Wallis, PJ & Daniell, KA 2018, 'Learning from collaborative research on sustainably managing fresh water: implications for ethical research-practice engagement', Ecology and Society, vol. 23, no. 1.
- Wyrwoll, P, Grafton, R.Q, Daniell, KA et al 2018, 'Decision-Making for Systemic Water Risks: Insights From a Participatory Risk Assessment Process in Vietnam', Earth's Future, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 543-564.
- Nabavi, E, Daniell, KA & Najafi, H 2017, 'Boundary matters: The potential of system dynamics to support sustainability?', Journal of Cleaner Production, 140(1) pp. 312–323.
- Dare, M & Daniell, KA 2017, 'Australian water governance in the global context: understanding the benefits of localism', Policy Studies, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 462-481.
- Daniell, KA, Nabavi, E & Benham, C 2017, 'Politics of innovation and the spirit of justice', in Lukasiewicz, A, Dovers, S, Robin, L, McKay, JM, Schilizzi, S, Graham, S (ed.), Natural Resources and Environmental Justice: Australian Perspectives, CSIRO Publishing, Clayton South, Victoria, Australia, pp. 185-203.
- Daniell, TM & Daniell, KA 2017, 'Improving the understanding and practice of hydrological modelling: recent insights and discussion', Australian Journal of Water Resources, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1-2pp.
- Daniell, TM & Daniell, KA 2017, 'Planning and management of water resource systems for livable cities: current issues and options', Australian Journal of Water Resources, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 51-52pp.
- Daniell, KA & White, I 2016, Developing and improving bi-regional dialogue between Europe and the Pacific in Science, Technology and Innovation. Deliverable 3.4 for the PACE-NET Plus project, Europe.
- Daniell, KA & Daniell, TM 2016, 'A brave new world - expanding the remit of the Australian Journal of Water Resources', Australian Journal of Water Resources, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 1-3.
- Paget, N, Daniell, K, Rubio Zuazo, A et al 2016, 'Environmental information sharing: a means to support the legitimization of oyster farmers' stewardship over water quality management in NSW, Australia', Natural Resources Forum, vol. 40, no. 1-2, pp. 21-36.
- Benham, CF & Daniell, KA 2016, 'Putting transdisciplinary research into practice: A participatory approach to understanding change in coastal social-ecological systems', Ocean and Coastal Management, vol. 128, pp. 29-39.
- Hassenforder, E, Brugnach, M, Cullen, B, Ferrand, N, Barreteau, O, Daniell, KA, Pittock, J 2016, 'Managing frame diversity in environmental participatory processes - Example from the Fogera woreda in Ethiopia', Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 177, pp. 288-297.
- Hassenforder, E, Ducrot, R, Ferrand, N, Barreteau O, Daniell, KA, Pittock, J 2016, 'Four challenges in selecting and implementing methods to monitor and evaluate participatory processes: Example from the Rwenzori region, Uganda', Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 180, pp. 504-516.
- Hassenforder, E, Pittock, J, Barreteau, O, Daniell, KA, Ferrand, N 2016, 'The MEPPP Framework: A Framework for Monitoring and Evaluating Participatory Planning Processes', Environmental Management (New York), vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 79-96.
- Nabavi, E & Daniell, KA 2017, 'Rediscovering social-ecological systems: taking inspiration from actor-networks', Sustainability Science, pp. 1-Sep.
- Hogan, A, Cleary, J, Lockie, S, Young, M, Daniell, K 2015, 'Localism and the policy goal of securing the socio-economic viability of rural and regional Australia', in A Hogan & M Young (ed.), Rural and Regional Futures, Routledge, Abingdon and New York, pp. 260-281.
- Daniell, KA 2015, Bibliometric analyses on Pacific-EU scientific cooperation. Deliverable 3.1, PACE-Net Plus FP7 EC project, The Australian National University, Canberra, https://plus.pacenet.eu/system/files/documents/D3.1.%20Bibliometrics_0.pdf
- Daniell, KA 2015, 'Designing stakeholder engagement processes for river basin management: Using culture as an analytical tool', Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium: The Art and Science of Water, HWRS 2015, Engineers Australia, Australia.
- Daniell, KA, Grafton, RQ, Nauges, C et al 2015, 'Understanding and Managing Urban Water in Transition', in Grafton, R., Daniell, KA, Nauges, C, Rinaudo, J-D, Chan, NWW (ed.), Understanding and Managing Urban Water in Transition, Springer Science + Business Media, Dordrecht, Germany, pp. 1-32.
- Daniell, KA, Morton, A & Insua, D 2015, 'Policy analysis and policy analytics', Annals of Operations Research, http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10479-015-1902-9
- Grafton, RQ, Daniell, KA, Nauges, C et al, eds, 2015, Understanding and Managing Urban Water in Transition, Springer Science + Business Media, Dordrecht, Germany.
- Hassenforder, E, Barreteau, O, Daniell, KA, Pittock, J, Ferrand, N. 2015, 'Drivers of Environmental Institutional Dynamics in Decentralized African Countries', Environmental Management (New York), http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00267-015-0581-2
- Hassenforder, E, Ferrand, N, Pittock, J, Daniell, KA, Barreteau, O 2015, 'A participatory planning process as an arena for facilitating institutional bricolage: Example from the Rwenzori region, Uganda', Society and Natural Resources, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 995-1012.
- Squires, V, Milner, H & Daniell, K, eds, 2014, River Basin Management in the Twenty-First century, Understanding People and Place, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- Daniell, KA & Barreteau, O 2014, 'Water governance across competing scales: coupling land and water management', Journal of Hydrology, vol. 519, no. C, pp. 2367 - 2380.
- Daniell, KA 2014, The Role of National Culture in Shaping Public Policy: A Review of the Literature. HC Coombs Policy Forum Discussion Paper, The Australian National University, Canberra.
- Daniell, KA, Coombes, PJ & White, I 2014, 'Politics of innovation in multi-level water governance systems', Journal of Hydrology, vol. 519, pp. 2415-2435.
- Daniell, KA, Milner, H & Squires, V 2014, 'Uniting Perspectives: People and Place in River Basin Management', in Squires, V.R., Milner, H.M., Daniell, K.A. (ed.), River Basin Management in the Twenty-First century, Understanding People and Place, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, USA, pp. 467-483.
- Barreteau, O., Bots, PWG, Daniell, KA, Etienne, M, Perez, P et al 2013, 'Participatory Approaches', in Bruce Edmonds and Ruth Meyer (ed.), Simulating Social Complexity, Springer, Berlin, pp. 197-234.
- Daniell, K.A. 2013, 'Practical responses to water and climate policy implementation challenges', Australian Journal of Water Resources, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 111-125.
- Dionnet, M, Daniell, KA, Imache, A et al 2013, 'Improving participatory processes through collective simulation: Use of a community of practice', Ecology and Society, vol. 18, no. 1, art . 36.
- Tavakoli-Nabavi, S.E. & Daniell, K.A. 2013, 'Towards process-based sustainability indicators', Sustainable Engineering Society (SENG) 2013 conference: Looking back...looking forward, Engineers Australia, Barton, ACT.
- Daniell, KA 2012, Co-engineering and Participatory Water Management: Organisational Challenges for Water Governance, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 346p. http://www.cambridge.org/aus/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9781107012318
- Daniell, KA, ed., 2012, Proceedings of the 2nd Practical Responses to Climate Change Conference, "Water and Climate: Policy Implementation Challenges", Engineers Australia, Barton, ACT, Australia, 672p. ISBN: 9780858259119
- Von Korff, Y, Daniell, KA, Moellenkamp, S, Bots, PWG & Bijlsma, RM 2012, 'Implementing Participatory Water Management: Recent Advances in Theory, Practice, and Evaluation', Ecology and Society, vol. 17, no. 1, art. 30: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol17/iss1/art30/
- White, I, Daniell, KA, Rucker, G, Robinson, R 2012, Climate Change and Freshwater in the Pacific: Adapting to global change in the freshwater and sanitation sector. Policy Brief, PACE-Net FP7 EC project, Europe, http://brussels-conference-2012.pacenet.eu/sites/default/files/PACE-NET_...
- Daniell, KA 2011, Enhancing collaborative management in the Basin, Chapter 26. In: Connell, D, Grafton, RQ (eds) Basin Futures: Water reform in the Murray-Darling Basin, ANU E-Press, Canberra, pp. 413-438. http://epress.anu.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/ch26.pdf
- Daniell, KA, Coombes, PJ & White, I 2011, Multi-level governance and the politics of innovation in the water sector, Proceedings of the 34th IAHR World Congress (including the 33rd Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium): "Balance and Uncertainty - Water in a Changing World", 27 June- 1 July 2011, Brisbane, Australia. ISBN 978-0-85825-868-6
- Daniell, KA, Manez Costa, MA, Ferrand, N, Kingsborough, AB, Coad, P & Ribarova, IS 2011, 'Aiding multi-level decision-making processes for climate change mitigation and adaptation', Regional Environmental Change, Vol.11, No.2, pp. 243-258. DOI: 10.1007/s10113-010-0162-0
- Daniell, KA, Ribarova, IS & Ferrand, N 2011, Collaborative flood and drought risk management in the Upper Iskar Basin, Bulgaria, Chapter 19. In: Grafton, RQ & Hussey, K (eds) Water Resources Planning and Management, Cambridge University Press, pp.395-420.
- Ribarova, I, Assimacopoulos, D, Jeffrey, P, Daniell, KA, Inman, D, Vamvakeridou-Lyroudia, LS, Melin, T, Kalinkov, P, Ferrand, N & Tarnaki, K 2011, 'Research-supported participatory planning for water stress mitigation', Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 283-300.
- Daniell, KA, White, I, Ferrand, N, Coad, P, Ribarova, IS, Rougier, J-E, Hare, M, Popova, A, Jones, NA, Burn, S & Perez, P 2010, 'Co-engineering Participatory Water Management Processes: Theory and Insights from Australian and Bulgarian Interventions', Ecology and Society, vol. 15, no. 4, art. 11. http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol15/iss4/art11/
- Daniell, KA, Mazri, C & Tsoukias, A 2010, Real world decision-aiding: a case of participatory water management. In: Rios Insua, D & French, S (eds) e-Democracy: A Group Decision and Negotiation Perspective, (Advances in Group Decision and Negotiation Series, Vol. 5, Part 2) Springer, Dordrecht. pp. 125-150.
- Barreteau, O, Bots, PWG & Daniell, KA 2010, 'A Framework for Clarifying "Participation" in Participatory Research to Prevent its Rejection for the Wrong Reasons', Ecology and Society, vol. 15, no. 2, art. 1. http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol15/iss2/art1/
- von Korff, Y, D'Aquino, P, Daniell, KA & Bijlsma, R 2010, 'Designing participation processes for water management and beyond', Ecology and Society, vol. 15, no. 3, art. 1. http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol15/iss3/art1/
- Sendzimir, J, Magnuszewski, P, Barreteau, O, Ferrand, N, Daniell, KA & Haase, D (2010) Participatory Modelling. In: Mysiak, J, Henrikson, HJ, Sullivan, C, Bromley, J, Pahl-Wostl, C (eds) The Adaptive Water Resource Management Handbook, Earthscan, London, UK, pp. 39-43.
- Daniell, KA, Hogan, A, Cleary, J 2010. Breaking down the "one-size-fits-all" approach to rural and regional policy in the face of climate change: enhancing policy initiatives through multi-level governance, Climate Change Adaptation and Governance Workshop, NCCARF Social, Economic and Institutional Dimensions Network, 16-19 November, UNSW Sydney,10p.
- Daniell, JE, Daniell, KA, Daniell, TM, Khazai, B 2010. A country level physical and community risk index in the Asia-Pacific region for earthquakes and floods. Proceedings 5th Civil Engineering Conference in the Asia Region (CECAR5) and the Australasian Structural Engineering Conference 2010 (ASEC2010), 8-12 August 2010, Sydney, Australia.
- Daniell, KA, White, I & Rollin, D 2009, 'Ethics and Participatory Water Planning', Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium 2009, ed. Willgoose, Garry ; Kuczera, George, Engineers Australia, Modbury, pp. 1476-1487.
- Jones, N, Perez, P, Measham, TG, Kelly, G, Daniell, KA, Dray, A, Ferrand, N 2009, 'Evaluating Participatory Modeling: Developing a Framework for Cross-Case Analysis', Environmental Management (New York), vol. 44, pp. 1180-1195.
- Daniell, KA 2008. Co-engineering participatory modelling processes for water planning and management / Co-ingénierie des processus de modélisation participative pour la planification et la gestion de l'eau (2 Volumes) PhD Thesis, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia and AgroParisTech, Montpellier, France, 735p.
- Daniell, KA, Coad, P, Ribarova, IS, White, I, Ferrand, N, Rougier, J-E, Jones, N, Popova, A, Tsoukiàs, A, Burn, S & Perez, P 2008, Participatory risk management approaches for water governance: insights from Australia and Bulgaria. In: Proceedings of the World Water Congress, 1-4 September 2008, Montpellier, France. www.iwra.org/congress/2008/resource/authors/abs387_article.pdf
- Ribarova, IS, Ninov, P, Daniell, KA, Ferrand, N & Hare M 2008, 'Integration of technical and non-technical approaches for flood identification', Water Down Under 2008: Incorporating the 31st Hydrology Symposium and the 4th Conference on Water Resources and Environment Research, Conference Organising Committee, Adelaide, pp. 2598-2609.
- Imache, A, LeGoulven, P, Bouarfa, S, Chabaca, M & Daniell KA 2008, 'Farmers' Behaviours and Trends in Agricultural Water Demand: The Case of the Irrigated Mitidja Plain (Algeria)', Water Down Under 2008: Incorporating the 31st Hydrology Symposium and the 4th Conference on Water Resources and Environment Research, Conference Organising Committee, Adelaide, pp. 2703-2710.
- Daniell, KA, Coad, P, Ferrand, N, White, I, Jones, N, Guise, K, Marvell, C, Burn, S, Perez, P 2008, 'Participatory values-based risk management for the water sector', Water Down Under 2008: Incorporating the 31st Hydrology Symposium and the 4th Conference on Water Resources and Environment Research, Conference Organising Committee, Adelaide, pp. 969-981.
- Bots, PWG, Daniell, KA, Dionnet, M, Jamin, J-Y, Koundouri, P & Maraux. F 2008. Report: Design and application of virtual and real tests - general framework, comparison and insights gained, D5.3-3, AquaStress IP, FP6, Europe.
- Dionnet, M, Daniell, KA, Rollin, D, Koundouri, P, Bots, PWG, von Korff, Y, Vamvakeridou-Lyroudia, L, Giordano, R & Bluemling, B 2008. How to test and evaluate. In: Wolters, H. Assimacopoulos, D, Manez, M, Dionnet, M, Guiliano, G (eds) Guidance on water stress mitigation: experiences and inspirations from the AquaStress Integrated Project, December 2008, AquaStress IP, FP6, Europe, pp. 91-114.
- Coad, P, Haines, P, Daniell, K et al 2007, 'Integration of Environmental Risk Assessment Within Estuary Management Planning for the Lower Hawkesbury-Nepean River, New South Wales', NSW Coastal Conference 2007, Conference Organising Committee, Yamba, NSW, pp. 1-14.
- Fischer, J, Manning, A, Steffen, W et al 2007, 'Mind the sustainability gap', Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 621-624.
- Daniell, KA, Foley, B, Kingsborough, A et al 2007, 'The AUSTIME Methodology: Quantifiable Sustainability Assessment Coupled with Multi-agent Simulation', in Mark Deakin, Gordon Mitchell, Peter Nijkamp, Ron Vreeker (ed.), Sustainable Urban Development: Volume 2: The Environmental Assessment Methods, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, London, pp. 375-411.
- Daniell, KA 2007. Understanding the diversity of sustainability viewpoints. A brief sustainability literature summary for COMMOD-ADD, Report prepared for COMMOD-ADD (ANR Project), Montpellier, France, 7p.
- Daniell, KA 2007. Summary Report: Stakeholder Workshops 2 & 3 for the Lower Hawkesbury Estuary Management Plan, June 2007. Report prepared for the Hornsby Shire Council and BMT WBM, NSW, Australia, 92p.
- Daniell, KA, Ferrand, N & Tsoukias, A 2006, 'Investigating participatory modelling process for group decision aiding in water planning and management', Group Decision and Negotiation (GDN 2006), ed. Stefan Seifert and Christof Weinhardt, Conference Organising Committee, Karlsruhe.
- Daniell, KA, Kingsborough, AB, Malovka, DJ, Sommerville, HC, Foley, BA & Maier, HR 2006, Sustainability Assessment of Housing Developments: A New Methodology. In Perez, P & Batten, D (eds) Complex Science for a Complex World, ANU E Press, Canberra, Australia, pp. 111-146. http://epress.anu.edu.au/cs_citation.html
- Ferrand, N, Daniell, KA 2006. Comment évaluer la contribution de la modélisation participative au développement durable ? Seminaire interdisciplinaire sur le développement durable, 30 November 2006, Lille, France, 20p.
- Daniell, KA, Ferrand, N 2006. Participatory Modelling for Water Resources Management and Planning, D3.8.2, AquaStress IP, FP6, Europe, 58p.
- Daniell, TM & Daniell, KA 2006. 'Human impacts, complexity, variability and non-homogeneity: four dilemmas for the water resources modeller', FRIEND (flow regimes from international experimental and network data), ed. Demuth, S, Gustard, A, Planos, E, Scatena, F & Servat E, IAHS Press, UK, pp.10-15
- Manez, M, Silva, A, Daniell, KA, Ferrand, N, Froebrich, J 2006. Participatory Modelling in Dam Management: A case study of the Guadiana River in the Iberian Peninsula, In: Proceedings of the IWA conference on "Innovations in coping with water and climate related risks", 25 - 27 September 2006, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Daniell, KA, White, I, Ferrand, N, TsoukiÃ s, A, Burn, S & Perez, P 2006. Towards an art and science of decision aiding for water management and planning: a participatory modelling process. In: Proceedings of the 30th Hydrology & Water Resources Symposium, 4-7 December 2006, Hotel Grand Chancellor, Launceston, Tasmania.
- Daniell, KA, Somerville, HC, Foley, BA, Maier, HR, Malovka, DC & Kingsborough, AB 2005, 'Integrated urban system modelling: methodology and case study using multi-agent systems', International congress on Modelling and Simulation Advances and Applications for Managememnt and Decision Making (MODSIM 2005), ed. Andre Zerger and Robert M. Argent, Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand Inc., Canberra, pp. 2026-.
- Bouleau, G, Snellen, B, Raymond, R & Daniell, KA 2005, Intermediate Report: Planning Theories and Water Stress, D3.7.1, AquaStress IP, FP6, Europe, 26p.
- Daniell, KA, Kingsborough, AB, Malovka, DJ, Sommerville, HC, Foley, BA & Maier HR 2005, 'Sustainability assessment of housing developments: A new methodology', Joint Conference on Multi-Agent Modeling for Environment Management (CABM-HEMA-SMAGET 2005), ed. CABM-HEMA-SMAGET, CABM-HEMA-SMAGET, Bourg-Saint-Maurice, Les Arcs, France, pp. 1-31.
- Daniell, KA, Kingsborough, AB, Malovka, DJ, Sommerville, HC, Foley, BA, & Maier, HR 2004, A Review of Sustainability Assessment for Housing Developments, Departmental Report No. R175, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia, 30p. http://www.ecms.adelaide.edu.au/civeng/research/reports/docs/R175.pdf