Nicholas is an academic at The Australian National University, and is passionate about developing & promoting research projects which connect ANU research to industry-relevant outcomes. Nicholas is the Chief Investigator on a $3.6M ARENA & industry funded project developing distributed solar modelling and forecasting products for Australian distribution networks. He is also the Chief Technology Officer of a solar forecasting company (Solcast). Nicholas maintains research connections around the world, including China, Singapore, Sweden, Germany and the United States.
- Lingfors, D, Killinger, S, Engerer, N et al 2018, 'Identification of PV system shading using a LiDAR-based solar resource assessment model: An evaluation and cross-validation', Solar Energy, vol. 159, pp. 157-172.
- Bright, J, Killinger, S, Lingfors, D et al 2018, 'Improved satellite-derived PV power nowcasting using real-time power data from reference PV systems', Solar Energy, vol. 168, pp. 118-139pp.
- Killinger, S, Lingfors, D, Saint-Drenan, Y et al 2018, 'On the search for representative characteristics of PV systems: Data collection and analysis of PV system azimuth, tilt, capacity, yield and shading', Solar Energy, vol. 173, pp. 1087-1106.
- Tidemann, C, Engerer, N, Franklin, E et al 2018, 'Promoting behind-the-meter battery storage: options
for more effective government support and regulation', International Journal of Technology Intelligence and Planning, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 77-98.
- Killinger, S, Bright, J, Lingfors, D et al 2017, 'Towards a tuning method of PV power measurements to balance systematic influences', ISES Solar World Conference 2017, SWC 2017 and 5th International Conference on Solar Heating and Cooling Conference for Buildings and Industry 2017, SHC 2017, ed. D Renne, S Griffiths, M Romero, K Guthrie & D Mugnier, International Solar Energy Society, TBC, pp. 1339-1349pp.
- Killinger, S, Bright, J, Lingfors, D et al 2017, 'Towards a Tuning Method of PV Power Measurements to Balance Systematic Influences', ISES Solar World Congress 2017, ISES SWC 2017, ed. M Romero and D Mugnier, International Solar Energy Society, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, pp. 11pp.
- Engerer, N, Bright, J & Killinger, S 2017, 'Himawari-8 enabled real-time distributed PV
simulations for distribution networks
', IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, PVSC-44, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE Inc), US.
- Bright, J, Killinger, S, Lingfors, D et al 2017, 'Integration of distributed solar forecasting with distribution network operations in Australia', ISES Solar World Congress 2017, ISES SWC 2017, ed. M Romero and D Mugnier, International Solar Energy Society, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, pp. 9pp.
- Engerer, N 2017, 'Multi-objective optimization method of multi-source independent microgrid based on modified CPSO [åŸºäºŽæ”¹è¿›æ··æ²Œç²’å?ç¾¤ç®—æ³•çš„å¤šæº?ç‹¬ç«‹å¾®ç½‘å¤šç›®æ ‡ä¼˜åŒ–æ–¹æ³•]', Dianli Xitong Baohu yu Kongzhi/Power System Protection and Control, vol. 45, no. 23, pp. 34-41pp.
- Killinger, S, Engerer, N & Muller, B 2017, 'QCPV: A quality control algorithm for distributed photovoltaic array power output', Solar Energy, vol. 143, pp. 120-131.
- Sun, Y, Wang, F, Wang, B et al 2017, 'Correlation feature selection and mutual information theory based quantitative research on meteorological impact factors of module temperature for solar photovoltaic systems', Energies, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. -.
- Lingfors, D, Bright, J, Engerer, N et al 2017, 'Comparing the capability of low- and high-resolution LiDAR data with application to solar resource assessment, roof type classification and shading analysis', Applied Energy, vol. 205, pp. 1216-1230.
- Killinger, S, Bright, J, Lingfors, D et al 2017, 'A tuning routine to correct systematic influences in reference PV systems' power outputs', Solar Energy, vol. 157, pp. 1082-1094.
- Domke, J, Engerer, N, Menon, A et al 2016, 'Distributed Solar Prediction with Wind Velocity', 43rd IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, PVSC 2016, IEEE Xplore, Online, pp. 1218-1223pp.
- Zhen, Z, Sun, Y, Wang, F et al 2016, 'A Cloud Displacement Estimation Approach for Sky Images Based on Phase Correlation Theory', 2016 IEEE International Conference on Power System Technology, POWERCON 2016, IEEE, Online, pp. 6pp.
- Wellby, S & Engerer, N 2016, 'Categorizing the Meteorological Origins of Critical Ramp Events in Collective Photovoltaic Array Output', Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1323-1344.
- Engerer, N 2015, 'Minute resolution estimates of the diffuse fraction of global irradiance for southeastern Australia', Solar Energy, vol. 116, pp. 215-237.
- Engerer, N & Mills, F 2015, 'Validating nine clear sky radiation models in Australia', Solar Energy, vol. 120, pp. 9-24.
- Engerer, N & Xu, Y 2015, 'A Simple Model for Estimating the Diffuse Fraction of Solar Irradiance from Photovoltaic Array Power Output', 21st International Congress on Modelling and Simulation (MODSIM2015), ed. Weber, T., McPhee, M.J. and Anderssen, R.S., The Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand Inc., Australia, pp. 1140-1146.
- Engerer, N & Hansard, J 2015, 'Real-time Simulations of 15,000+ Distributed PV Arrays at Sub-Grid Level using the Regional PV Simulation System (RPSS)', Solar World Congress 2015, ed. Manuel Romero,Taebeom Seo,David RennÃ©, International Solar Energy Society, Germany.
- Engerer, N & Mills, F 2014, 'K-PV: A clear-sky index for photovoltaics', Solar Energy, vol. 105, pp. 679-693.
- Mills, F, Engerer, N & Steele, T 2014, 'Design considerations for an urban solar radiation measurement network', The 52nd Annual Conference of the Australian Solar Council, Australian Solar Council, Australia, pp. 343-353.
- Tan, J, Engerer, N & Mills, F 2014, 'Estimating Hourly Energy Generation of Distributed Photovoltaic Arrays: a Comparison of Two Methods', The 52nd Annual Conference of the Australian Solar Council, Australian Solar Council, Australia, pp. 385-396.
- Nicholas A. Engerer (2011). Simulating Photovoltaic Array Performance Using Radiation Observations from the Oklahoma Mesonet, 225.
- Engerer, N, Stensrud, D & Coniglio, M 2008, 'Surface Characteristics of Observed Cold Pools', Monthly Weather Review, vol. 136, no. 12, pp. 4839-4849.