Prior to completing her PhD at ANU, Vy was a Sociologist and a Lecturer at the Faculty of Urban Studies, Ho Chi Minh City University of Social Sciences and Humanities (USSH).
Vy Nguyen's research focuses on several aspects of urban studies and policy including urban displacement, resettlement and livelihoods; urban policy and governance; and community development and public participation in urban areas.
Vy has sustained a regular and valuable output in terms of her contributions to sociological research in Vietnam and her research has been published as journal articles, book articles and conference papers. Her most recent publication is a journal article on family connectedness, school attachment, peer influence, and health compromising behaviors among young Vietnamese males, published in the Journal of Youth Studies in 2015. Finally, Vy has delivered public lectures and presentations of her sociological research in Vietnam, Japan, the Philippines and the United States.
Much of Vy’s research projects have involved a strong focus on community participation in heritage conservation, flooding mitigation and improving the living environment of slum areas. Examples include:
- Toward the Sustainable Urban Heritage Conservation: A Comparative Study between Ho Chi Minh City and Yokohama City, funded by the Sumitomo Foundation in Japan from 2013 to 2015.
- Building Capacity of Community People and Local Authorities for Participation in Improving Living Environment in Slum Areas of Ho Chi Minh City, funded by The Rosa- Luxemburg Foundation from 2011 to 2013.
- Solutions for Mobilizing Community Participation in Mitigating Flooding Impacts on Residential Areas, funded by the University of Social Sciences and Humanities from 2009 to 2010.
- Impacts of Population Growth, Spatial Structure and Community Awareness on Urban Flooding in Ho Chi Minh City, funded by the Vietnam National University from 2008 to 2009.
A number of journal articles, books and conference papers Vyhas authored or contributed to include:
- Dharma, A., & Nguyen, D.Q.V. (2015). Family Connectedness, School Attachment, Peer Influence, and Health Compromising Behaviors among Young Vietnamese Males. Journal of Youth Studies. DOI:10.1080/13676261.2015.1067674.
- Nguyen, D.Q.V. (2015). Community Participation in Urban Planning and Development of Japan and Experience for Vietnam. In Urban Sustainable Development Opportunities – Challenges (p.305-312). Ho Chi Minh City: VNU-HCM Publishing House.
- Nguyen, D.Q.V., Nobuharu, S., & Saori, K. (2014). Urban Conservation: A perspective of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and Lessons from Yokohama City, Japan. Proceedings of The International Academic Consortium for Sustainable Cities (4th IACSC) September 6-7 2013 (pp.4-12). The Philippines: Econofast Press.