As a Visiting Fellow at the Fenner School Catherine has a broad range of research interests including fairness and justice in environmental decision-making, the social and equity implications of adaptation to climate change, and the bigger picture of the human place in nature.
Catherine's most recent publication is her book ‘Fairness and Justice in Environmental Decision Making’ (published by Routledge) which connects theories of justice with peoples lived experience within social conflicts over resource sharing.
Catherine's career has spanned three continents taking her from a farming background in Yorkshire to executive management in the information technology and healthcare industry in the USA and then to environmental research in Australia. Catherine enjoys working at the interface between ideas and theories and the practical problems faced by society. She enjoys giving guest lectures and seminars and talking to people in rural Australia.
- Gross, C., 2015. Perspectives on population policy in Australia, In Rural and Regional Futures (Eds Hogan, A. and Young, M.) Routledge, Abingdon, UK. pp 101-114http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9781138025073/
- Gross, C., 2015. Understanding the aspirations of people living in rural and regional Australia, In Rural and Regional Futures (Eds Hogan, A. and Young, M.) Routledge, Abingdon, UK. pp 299 - 317http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9781138025073/
- Gross, C. and Dumaresq, D. 2014. Taking the longer view: Timescales, fairness and a forgotten story of irrigation in Australia, Journal of Hydrology, 519 (Part C) 2483-2492.http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022169414006660
- Gross, C., 2014. Calling people NIMBYs won't stop development arguments, The Conversation, http://theconversation.com/calling-people-nimbys-wont-stop-development-a...
- Gross, C., 2014. Fairness and Justice in Environmental Decision Making: Water under the bridge, Routledge, Abingdon, UK. http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415833899/
- Fischer, J., Dyball, R., Fazey, I., Gross, C., Dovers, S., Ehrlich P., Brulle, R., Christensen, C., Borden, R., (2012), Human Behavior and Sustainability, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 10 (3), 153 – 160.
- Gross, C., 2012. Practical realities of adaptation to climate variability in the Coorong wetland region, in Conference Proceedings, Practical Responses to Climate Change National Conference 2012, Canberra, ACT
- Gross, C. 2011. Why justice is important, In Basin Futures: Water reform in the Murray-Darling Basin (Eds, Connell, D. and Grafton, Q.) ANU E Press, Canberra, pp 149-162.
- Gross, C., Pittock, J., Finlayson, M., Geddes, M., 2011. Climate Change Adaptation in the Coorong, Murray Mouth and Lakes Alexandrina and Albert, NCCARF Synthesis and Integrative Research Program, The Limits to Adaptation. http://www.nccarf.edu.au/publications/limits-adaptation-coorong-murray-alexandrina-albert
- Gross, C. 2010. Water under the Bridge: Fairness and Justice in Environmental Decision-Making, PhD Thesis, ANU, Canberra.
- Gross, C. 2008. A Measure of Fairness: An investigative framework to explore perceptions of fairness and justice in a real-life social conflict, Human Ecology Review 15 (2), 130-140.
- Gross, C. 2007. Community perspectives of wind energy in Australia: The application of a justice and community fairness framework to increase social acceptance, Energy Policy 35 (5), 2727-2736.