I completed both my undergraduate and honours degree at the University of Sydney, with a focus on terrestrial ecology.
Under the supervision of Prof. Chris Dickman, I gained my first class honours with a thesis that investigated the foraging ecology of the Lesser Hairy-Footed Dunnart in the Simpson Desert.
Soon after completing my honours, I completed a Masters in Teaching (Secondary Science), at the University of Sydney and taught at several high schools in the Sydney region prior to moving to Canberra.
I was lucky enough to be offered the Glenn Sanecki Alpine Scholarship at ANU in 2010 and have been working in the mountains since then to improve our understanding of alpine-subalpine skinks.
- Barton, P, Westgate, M, Foster, C et al 2020, 'Using ecological niche theory to avoid uninformative biodiversity surrogates', Ecological Indicators, vol. 108, pp. 1-7.
- Barton, P, Evans, M, Sato, C et al 2019, 'Higher-taxon and functional group responses of ant and bird assemblages to livestock grazing: A test of an explicit surrogate concept', Ecological Indicators, vol. 96, pp. 458-465.
- Foster, C, O'Loughlin, L, Sato, C et al 2019, 'How practitioners integrate decision triggers with existing metrics in conservation monitoring', Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 230, pp. 94-101.
- Stojanovic, D, Cook, H, Sato, C et al 2019, 'Pre-emptive action as a measure for conserving nomadic species', Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 64-71.
- Hansen, N, Sato, C, Michael, D et al 2019, 'Predation risk for reptiles is highest at remnant edges in agricultural landscapes', Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 31-43.
- Sato, C, Strong, C, Holliday, P et al 2019, 'Environmental and grazing management drivers of soil condition', Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 276, pp. 1-7.
- Driscoll, D, Worboys, G, Allan, H et al 2019, 'Impacts of feral horses in the Australian Alps and evidence-based solutions', Ecological Management and Restoration, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 63-72.
- Lindenmayer, D, Lane, P, Westgate, M et al 2018, 'Tests of predictions associated with temporal changes in Australian bird populations', Biological Conservation, vol. 222, pp. 212-221pp.
- Lindenmayer, D & Sato, C 2018, 'Hidden collapse is driven by fire and logging in a socioecological forest ecosystem', PNAS - Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 115, no. 20, pp. 5181-5186.
- Lindenmayer, D, Blanchard, W, Crane, M et al 2018, 'Biodiversity benefits of vegetation restoration are undermined by livestock grazing', Restoration Ecology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1157-1164.
- O'Loughlin, L, Lindenmayer, D, Smith, M et al 2018, 'Surrogates Underpin Ecological Understanding and Practice', BioScience, vol. 68, no. 9, pp. 640-642pp.
- Sato, C & Lindenmayer, D 2017, 'Meeting the Global Ecosystem Collapse Challenge', Conservation Letters.
- Schroder, M & Sato, C 2017, 'An evaluation of small-mammal use of constructed wildlife crossings in ski resorts', Wildlife Research, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 259-268pp..
- Sato, C, Wood, J, Stein, J et al 2016, 'Natural tree regeneration in agricultural landscapes: The implications of intensification', Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 230, pp. 98-104.
- Lindenmayer, D, Messier, C & Sato, C 2016, 'Avoiding ecosystem collapse in managed forest ecosystems', Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 561-568.
- Barton, P, Sato, C, Kay, G et al 2016, 'Effects of environmental variation and livestock grazing on ant community structure in temperate eucalypt woodlands', Insect Conservation and Diversity, 9(2), 124-134.
- Foster, C, Barton, P, Sato, C et al 2016, 'Herbivory and fire interact to affect forest understory habitat, but not its use by small vertebrates', Animal Conservation, 19, 15-25.
- Foster, C, Barton, P, Sato, C et al 2015, 'Synergistic interactions between fire and browsing drive plant diversity in a forest understorey', Journal of Vegetation Science, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1112-1123.
- Foster, C, Sato, C, Lindenmayer, D et al 2016, 'Integrating theory into disturbance interaction experiments to better inform ecosystem management', Global Change Biology, 22, 1325-1335.
- Sato, C, Wood, J, Schroder, M et al 2014, 'The impacts of ski resorts on reptiles: a natural experiment', Animal Conservation, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 313-322.
- Sato, C, Wood, J, Schroder, M et al 2014, 'An experiment to test key hypotheses of the drivers of reptile distribution in subalpine ski resorts', Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 13-22.
- Sato, C, Wood, J, Schroder, M et al 2014, 'Designing for conservation outcomes: The value of remnant habitat for reptiles on ski runs in subalpine landscapes', Landscape Ecology, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 1225-1236.
- Sato, C, Schroder, M, Green, K et al 2014, 'Managing ski resorts to improve biodiversity conservation: Australian reptiles as a case study', Ecological Management and Restoration, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 147-154.
- Sato, C, Wood, J & Lindenmayer, D 2013, 'The Effects of Winter Recreation on Alpine and Subalpine Fauna: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 8, no. 5, pp. e64282-e64282.