Dr David Turton
I am a legal geographer with an interest in extractive industries, particularly coal seam gas. I also have an ongoing research interest in the ombudsman institution, with a recent focus on the ACT's Office of the Commissioner for Sustainability and the Environment. My PhD examined aspects of Australia's coal seam gas controversy, with an emphasis on the sector's legal geography, publishing several papers from this work. A recent offshoot of this research is a book chapter that explores the place of lawyers in legal geography research methods and the challenges and opportunities this profession presents to researchers.
- Legal geography
- Coal seam gas
- Environmental oversight offices
- Turton, D 2020, 'Lawyers In Legal Geography: Parliamentary submissions and coal seam gas in Australia', in T O'Donnell, D Robinson & J Gillespie (ed.), Legal Geography: Perspectives and Methods, Routledge, London, UK, pp. 221-239.
- Turton, D 2019, 'Fracturing planners: A study of their contribution to Australia's coal seam gas debate', The Extractive Industries and Society, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1314-1324.
- Turton, D 2017, 'Legal determinations, geography and justice in Australia's coal seam gas debate', in Lukasiewicz, A., Dovers, S., Robin, L., McKay, J.M., Schilizzi, S., Graham, S. (ed.), Natural Resources and Environmental Justice: Australian Perspectives, CSIRO Publishing, Clayton South, Victoria, Australia, pp. 155-167pp.
- Turton, D 2015, 'Unconventional gas in Australia: towards a legal geography', Geographical Research, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 53-67.
- Turton, D 2015, 'Lawyers in Australia's coal seam gas debate: A study of participation in recorded community forums', The Extractive Industries and Society, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 802-812.
- Turton, D 2015, 'Delivering a "New Administrative Law": Commonwealth-Queensland ombudsman cooperation, 1976â€“1981', Journal of Australian Studies, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 216-234.
- Turton, D 2014, 'Codifying coexistence: Land access frameworks for Queensland mining and agriculture in 1982 and 2010', Journal of Australasian Mining History, vol. 12, pp. 172-192.