Originally an historical archaeologist, I study the historical factors and the feedback dynamics that shape relationships between humans and our environment. With Barry Newell I have developed Collaborative Conceptual Modelling, an approach which provides a conceptual framework to support studies of social-ecological systems. I am interested in the interconnected systems that characterise relationships between human health and the environment in urban settings.
- Lee Y., Tan D., Siri J., Newell B., Gong Y., Proust K., Marsden T. 2020, 'The role of public health dietary messages and guidelines in tackling overweight and obesity issues', Malaysian Journal of Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 31-50.
- Williamson, F. and Proust, K. 2020, ''Living in a State of Filth and Indifference to … Their Health": Weather, Public Health and Urban Governance in Colonial George Town, Penang, Environment and History, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 233–259.
- Brown, H., Proust, K., Newell, B. et al. 2018, 'Cool Communities—Urban Density, Trees, and Health', International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1531-1547.
- Newell, B. and Proust, K. 2018, 'Escaping the complexity dilemma', in Ariane Konig and Jerome Ravetz (ed.), Sustainability Science: Key issues, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, London, pp. 96-112pp.
- Siri J., Newell B., Proust K., Capon A., 2016, 'Urbanization, Extreme Events, and Health: The Case for Systems Approaches in Mitigation, Management, and Response', Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health, 28 (2S), 15S–27S.
- Newell, B. and Proust, K. 2012. Introduction to Collaborative Conceptual Modelling. ANU Working Paper. https://digitalcollections.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/9386
- Proust, K., Newell, B., Brown, H., Capon, A., Browne, C., Burton, A., Dixon, J., Mu, L., Zarafu, M. 2012 'Human Health and Climate Change: Leverage Points for Adaptation in Urban Environments'. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 2134-2158. http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/9/6/2134
- Brown, H., Proust, K., Spickett, J., Capon, A. 2011, 'The potential role of Health Impact Assessment in tackling the complexity of climate change adaptation for health', Health Promotion Journal of Australia, vol. 22, no. s1, pp. s48-s53.
- Newell, B. and Proust, K. 2009. I See How You Think: Using Influence Diagrams to Support Dialogue. ANU Centre for Dialogue.
- Newell, B., K. Proust, G. Wiltshire, D. Newell, 2008, Taking a Systems Approach to Estuary Management. Proceedings of 17th NSW Coastal Conference, Wollongong, 2008.
- Proust, K 2008, 'Salinity in Colonial Irrigation: British India and South-Eastern Australia', Australian Geographer, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 131-147.
- Newell, B., Proust, K., Dyball, R., McManus, P. 2007, 'Seeing obesity as a systems problem', NSW Public Health Bulletin, vol. 18, no. 11-12, pp. 214-218.
- Fazey, I, Proust, K, Johnson, B et al 2006, 'Eliciting the Implicit Knowledge and Perceptions of On-Ground Conservation Managers of the Macquarie Marshes', Ecology and Society, vol. 11, no. 1, p. 25.
- Proust, K 2005, 'Hugh McKinney A colonial Engineer', Australian Journal of Irish Studies, vol. 5, pp. 1-18.
- Proust, K 2003, 'Ignoring the signals: irrigation salinity in New South Wales, Australia', Irrigation and Drainage, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 39-49.
I am interested in supervising student projects which apply systems thinking to complex human-environment issues and relationships, including projects on urban health, and in the coastal zone of the NSW far south coast