Thong Tran is a visiting fellow at Fenner School of Environment and Society, the ANU. He completed his doctoral research at this institution in July 2016. His research focuses on the implications of social learning for household and institutional adaptation in the context of flood governance in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta (VMD). Currently, he is a research fellow at Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore. He has been involved in delivering guest lectures to graduate and undergraduate students at the ANU and Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He has also provided training workshops on using NVivo software for qualitative research at the ANU, National University of Singapore and other academic institutions in Vietnam. While at Fenner School, he provided NVivo tutorials to Fenner researchers and graduates who apply qualitative approaches for their research projects.
Thong Tran is also a researcher and lecturer of the Research Center for Rural Development (RCRD), An Giang University, Vietnam.
- Nguyen, Q, Tran, D, Dang, K et al 2020, 'Land-use dynamics in the Mekong delta: From national policy to livelihood sustainability', Sustainable Development, 28(3), 448-467.
- Tran, T A & Le, A T 2020, 'Policy transfer into flood management in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta: a North Vam Nao study', International Journal of Water Resources Development, 36(1), 106-126.
- Tran, T A & Suhardiman, D 2020, 'Laos' hydropower development and cross-border power trade in the Lower Mekong Basin: A discourse analysis', Asia Pacific Viewpoint. DOI: 10.1111/apv.12269
- Tran, T A 2020, 'From free to forced adaptation: A political ecology of the 'state-society-flood' nexus in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Asia Pacific Viewpoint, 61(1), 162-182.
- Tran, T A, Pittock, J & Tran, D 2020, 'Adaptive flood governance in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta: A policy innovation of the North Vam Nao scheme, An Giang Province', Environmental Science and Policy, 108, 45-55.
- Tran, T A & James, H 2019, 'Changing livelihood options as adaptation: A comparative analysis of three flood control schemes in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', in Helen James (ed.), Population, Development, and The Environment: Challenges to Achieving the Sustainable development goals in the Asia Pacific, Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore, 137-154.
- Tran, T A & Rodela, R 2019, 'Integrating farmers' adaptive knowledge into flood management and adaptation policies in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta: A social learning perspective', Global Environmental Change, 55, 84-96.
- Tran, T A 2019, 'Land use change driven out-migration: Evidence from three flood-prone communities in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Land Use Policy, 88, 104157.
- Tran, T A 2019, 'Learning as an everyday adaptation practice in the rural Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Climate and Development, 1-4. DOI: 10.1080/17565529.2019.1664974
- Tran, T A, James, H & Nhan, D 2019, 'Effects of social learning on rural farmers' adaptive capacity: Empirical insights from the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Society and Natural Resources, 1-20. DOI: 10.1080/08941920.2019.1693677
- Tran, T A, Nguyen, T & Vo, T 2019, 'Adaptation to flood and salinity environments in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta: Empirical analysis of farmer-led innovations', Agricultural Water Management, 216, 89-97.
- Tran, T A, Pittock, J & Le, A T 2019, 'Adaptive co-management in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta: Examining the interface between flood management and adaptation', International Journal of Water Resources Development, 35(2), 325-341.
- Pham, V, Febriamansyah, R, Afrizal, A & Tran, T A 2018, 'Government intervention and farmers' adaptation to saline intrusion: A Case study in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', International Journal on Advanced Science, Engineering and Information Technology, 8(5), 2142-2148.
- Tran, T A, James, H & Pittock, J 2018, 'Social learning through rural communities of practice: Empirical evidence from farming households in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Learning, Culture and Social Interaction, 16, 31-44.
- Tran, T A & James, H 2017, 'Transformation of household livelihoods in adapting to the impacts of flood control schemes in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Water Resources and Rural Development, 9, 67-80.
- Vo, T, Tran, T A & Luong, D 2017, 'Water governance for sustainable development: International practices and implications for the Mekong Delta region', Journal of Asian Business and Economic Studies, 24(4), 99-120.