Dr Thong Tran is an Honorary Lecturer at Fenner School of Environment and Society, College of Science, The Australian National University, where he obtained his PhD in Human Ecology in 2017. His research agenda focuses on the contested environment-development dynamics and their implications for sustainable development in mainland Southeast Asia. He is interested in the interdisciplinary areas of environmental governance with a particular focus on transboundary environmental challenges, rural innovations in climate change adaptation, social learning, rural livelihoods, environmental justice, and institutional change. From January 2018 to May 2021, he was a Research Fellow at Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore. He is also a researcher of the Research Centre for Rural Development, An Giang University, Vietnam.
Dr Thong Tran serves as an Associate Editor for Society and Natural Resources. He is also a member of the Editorial Boards for (1) Journal of Flood Risk Management published by Wiley providing an international platform for knowledge sharing in all areas related to flood risk, and (2) International Journal of Water Resources Development by Taylor and Francis publishing developments in water management and policy-making for water resources.
- Tran, T A, Dang, T D, Nguyen, T H & Pham, H T V 2021, 'Moving towards sustainable coastal adaptation: Analysis of hydrological drivers of saltwater intrusion in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Science of the Total Environment, 770, 1–11.
- Poelma, T, Bayrak, M, Nha, D V & Tran, T A 2021, 'Climate change and livelihood resilience capacities in the Mekong Delta: a case study on the transition to rice-shrimp farming in Vietnam's Kien Giang Province', Climatic Change, 164(9), 1–20.
- Tran, T A, Pittock, J & Tran, D D 2020, 'Adaptive flood governance in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta: A policy innovation of the North Vam Nao scheme, An Giang Province', Environmental Science and Policy, 108, 45–55.
- Tran, T A & Suhardiman, D 2020, 'Laos' hydropower development and cross-border power trade in the Lower Mekong Basin: A discourse analysis', Asia Pacific Viewpoint, 61(2), 219–235.
- Tran, T A, James, H & Nhan, D K 2020, 'Effects of social learning on rural farmers' adaptive capacity: Empirical insights from the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Society and Natural Resources, 33(9), 1053–1072.
- Tran, T A 2020, 'From free to forced adaptation: A political ecology of the 'state-society-flood' nexus in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Asia Pacific Viewpoint, 61(1), 162–182.
- Dang, T D & Tran, T A 2020, 'Rural industrialization and environmental governance challenges in the Red River Delta, Vietnam', Journal of Environment and Development, 29(4), 420–448.
- Nguyen, H Q, Tran, D D, Dang, K K, Korbee, D, Pham, L D M H, Vu, L T, Luu, T T, Ho, L H, Nguyen, P T, T. Ngo, T T, Nguyen, D T K, Wyatt, A, van Aalst, M, Tran, T A & Sea, W B 2020, 'Land-use dynamics in the Mekong delta: From national policy to livelihood sustainability', Sustainable Development, 28(3), 448–467.
- Tran, T A & Le, A T 2020, 'Policy transfer into flood management in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta: A North Vam Nao study', International Journal of Water Resources Development, 36(1), 106–126.
- Tran, T A 2020, 'Learning as an everyday adaptation practice in the rural Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Climate and Development, 12(7), 610–613.
- Pham, H T V, Febriamansyah, R, Afrizal, A & Tran, T A 2020, 'Adapting to saline intrusion: Empirical insights from two coastal areas in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Pertanika Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, 28 (2), 1553–1566.
- Tran, T A & Rodela, R 2019, 'Integrating farmers' adaptive knowledge into flood management and adaptation policies in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta: A social learning perspective', Global Environmental Change, 55, 84–96.
- Tran, T A 2019, 'Land use change driven out-migration: Evidence from three flood-prone communities in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Land Use Policy, 88, 104157.
- Tran, T A, Nguyen, T H & Vo, T T 2019, 'Adaptation to flood and salinity environments in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta: Empirical analysis of farmer-led innovations', Agricultural Water Management, 216, 89–97.
- Tran, T A, Pittock, J & Le, A T 2019, 'Adaptive co-management in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta: Examining the interface between flood management and adaptation', International Journal of Water Resources Development, 35(2), 325–341.
- Tran, T A & James, H 2019, 'Changing livelihood options as adaptation: A comparative analysis of three flood control schemes in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', in Helen James (ed.), Population, Development, and The Environment: Challenges to Achieving the Sustainable development goals in the Asia Pacific, Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore, 137–154.
- Tran, T A, James, H & Pittock, J 2018, 'Social learning through rural communities of practice: Empirical evidence from farming households in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Learning, Culture and Social Interaction, 16, 31–44.
- Pham, H T V, Febriamansyah, R, Afrizal, A & Tran, T A 2018, 'Government intervention and farmers' adaptation to saline intrusion: A Case study in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', International Journal on Advanced Science, Engineering and Information Technology, 8(5), 2142–2148.
- Tran, T A & James, H 2017, 'Transformation of household livelihoods in adapting to the impacts of flood control schemes in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta', Water Resources and Rural Development, 9, 67–80.
- Vo, T T, Tran, T A & Luong, D 2017, 'Water governance for sustainable development: International practices and implications for the Mekong Delta region', Journal of Economic Development, 24(4), 99–120.