I completed an undergraduate degree in natural resource management at the ANU, which included an honours project comparing the biophysical and social performance of different grazing systems in the Southern Tablelands.
After working as a research technical assistant for a few years with CSIRO Plant Industry and NSW Department of Primary Industries, I completed a PhD titled “Hydrological analysis for the integration of tree belt plantations into Australia's agricultural systems”.
Since then I spent time researching with the iCAM team at the ANU, developing models for decision support that integrate social, economic and environmental factors to assist in natural resource management. This included developing Bayesian networks for the management of NSW coastal lakes, and the management of native vegetation in Victoria.
This work had a strong focus on the engagement and participation of clients and stakeholders, and won three ‘Environs’ Awards from the NSW government in 2007, as well as the ‘Chair’s award’ for outstanding contribution to the Commonwealth Environment Research Fund project called Landscape Logic in 2010.
More recently I have focused on social research in rural areas, with Allan Curtis from CSU, studying the adoption of best land management practices such as fencing off waterways from livestock for water quality control and the adoption of water use efficient practices by irrigators in the Murray-Darling Basin.
- Merritt, W, Fu, B, Ticehurst, J et al (2017) 'Realizing modelling outcomes: A synthesis of success factors and their use in a retrospective analysis of 15 Australian water resource projects', Environmental Modelling and Software, vol. 94, pp. 63-72.
- Ticehurst, J.L., and Curtis A.L. (2017), Preliminary assessment of conjunctive use opportunities in the Murray Darling Basin: a case study in the lower Campaspe catchment, Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga, NSW, 2650. ISBN: 978-0-9954100-1-5
- Ticehurst, J.L., and Curtis, A.L. (2016), Improving on-farm water use efficiency amongst irrigators in the Campaspe-Rochester district, Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga, NSW, 2650. ISBN: 978-0-9954100-0-8
- Ticehurst J, Curtis A (2015) Can existing practices expected to lead to improved on-farm water use efficiency enable irrigators to effectively respond to reduced groundwater entitlements in the Murray Darling Basin?, Journal of Hydrology, 528:613-620.
- Jakeman, A, Kelly, R, Ticehurst, J, Blakers, R, Croke B, Curtis A, Fu Baihua, El Sawah S, Gardner A, Guillaime J, Hartley M, Holley C, Hutchings P, Pannell D, Ross A, Sharp E, Sinclair D, Wilson A, (2013), 'Modelling for the complex issue of catchment-scale and groundwater allocation ', (eds) Obaidat M.S, Filipe J, Kacprzyk J, Pina N, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing vol 256: Simulation and Modeling Methodologies, Technologies and Applications, Springer, Part 1: pp. 25-44
- Ticehurst J.L., Pollino C.A, Merritt W.S, (2012), Bayesian networks as integration tools in collaborative research, in Landscape Logic: Integrating science for landscape management, CSIRO publishing, Collingwood Victoria, Chapter 18, pp. 239-254
- Ticehurst, J.L., Curtis A., Merritt W.S. (2011), Using Bayesian Networks to complement conventional analyses to explore landholder management of native, Environmental Modelling and Software, 26:52-65.
- McIntosh B.S., Ascough II J.C, Twery M, ChewJ, Elmahdi A, Haase D, Harou J.J, Hepting D, S. Cuddy, A.J. Jakeman, S. Chen, A. Kassahun, S. Lautenbach, K. Matthews, W. Merritt, N.W.T. Quinn, I. Rodriguez-Roda, S. Sieber, M. Stavenga, A. Sulis, Ticehurst J., Volk M., Wrobel M., van Delden., El-Sawah S., Rizzoli A., Voinov A. (2011), Environmental decision support systems (EDSS) development – Challenges and best practices, Environmental Modelling & Software, 26: 1389-1402
- M Mahmouda, Y Liu, H Hartmann, S Stewart, T Wagener, D Semmens, R Stewart, H Gupta, D Dominguez, F Dominguez, D Hulse, R Letcher, B Rashleigh, C Smith, R Street, J Ticehurst, M Twery, H van Delden, R Waldick, D White, L Winter (2009), A formal framework for scenario development in support of environmental decision-making, Environmental Modelling and Software, 24: 798-808.
- Ticehurst, J.L. (2008), Evolution of an Approach to Integrated Adaptive Management: Coastal Lake Assessment and Management (CLAM), Ocean and Coastal Management, 51: 645-658.