Professor Bai joined ANU in 2011 as a Professor of Urban Environment and Human Ecology at the Fenner School of Environment & Society. Prior to her appointment at the ANU, Xuemei was a Senior Principal Research Scientist at CSIRO, a Visiting Professor at Yale University, and Senior Researcher at environmental research institutes in Japan. She is an Adjunct Professor at Beijing Normal University.
Professor Bai's research focuses on several frontiers of urban sustainability science and policy, including the drivers and consequences of urbanisation, structure, function, processes, and the evolution of urban socio-ecological systems, urban metabolism, urban sustainability experiments and transition, cities and climate change, and urban environmental policy and governance.
Professor Bai has authored and co-authored over 100 publications, including several in Nature and Science. She served as a Lead Author for the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment, the Global Energy Assessment, and is a Lead Author for IPBES Global Assessment and IPCC AR6. She has delivered invited lectures and seminars at top academic institutions as well as many international conferences and science/policy forums. She has supervised award-winning PhD and Honours students.
Professor Bai served as an inaugural member of the Science Committee of Future Earth where she has been leading the development of the Urban Knowledge-Action Network, and a Council Member of the International Society of Industrial Ecology. She served as the Vice Chair of the Science Committee of the International Human Dimensional Program for Global Environmental Change (IHDP); Science Steering Committee of IHDP Industrial Transformation Core Project; and Steering Committee of US National Academies Sustainable Cities Initiative. She served on the European Research Council assessment panels for Consolidator and Advanced Grants, and was a member of Global LafargeHolcim Award Jury for 2018. She is a Deputy Editor of Global Sustainability, and serves on the Editorial Board of Current Opinion; Environment; Computer, Environment and Urban Systems; Ecosystem Health and Sustainability; Urbanisation, and the International Journal of Sustainable Cities and Society.
She is a Fellow of Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia since 2017, and was named one of the World's 100 Most Influential People in Climate Change Policy in 2019. She is the 2018 Laureate of the Volvo Environment Prize.
- Lin, T., Y Yu, X Bai, L Feng, J Wang. 2013. Greenhouse Gas Emissions Accounting of Urban Residential Consumption: A Household Survey Based Approach. PloS one 8 (2). (Open access article. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3566040/)
- Bai, X., S. Dhakal, J. Steinberger, H. Weisz. 2012. Drivers of Urban Energy Use and Main Policy Leverages. In: Energizing Sustainable Cities: Assessing Urban Energy (A. Grubler and D. Fisk eds). Earthscan.
- Grubler, A., X. Bai, T. Buettner, S. Dhakal, D.J. Fisk, T. Ichinose, J. Keirstead, G. Sammer, D. Satterthwaite, N.B. Schulz, N. Shah, J. Steinberger and H. Weisz. 2012: Urban Energy Systems. In: The Global Energy Assessment. IIASA, Laxenburg, Austria and Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
- Hashimoto S., M. Fisher-Kowalski, S. Suh, XM. Bai, 2012. Greening Growing Giants: A Major Challenge of Our Planet. Journal of Industrial Ecology. 16(4): 459-466. DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00522.x.
- Rogers, D., A. Duraiappah, D.C. Antons, P. Munoz, X.M. Bai, M. Fragkias, H. Gutscher. A vision for human wellbeing: Transition to social sustainability. 2012. Current Opinion on Environmental Sustainability 4:1-13. (First published online Feb 17, 2012. DOI Link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2012.01.013)
- Roberts, B., XM Bai. 2011. Environment and Climate Change. In: State of Asian Cities, 2010/2011. UN Habitat. (Republished by UNHabitat in 2011)
- Bai, X.M., R. R. J. McAllister, M. Beaty, B. Taylor. 2010. Urban Policy and Governance in a Global Environment. Current Opinion on Environmental Sustainability. DOI: 10.1016/j.cosust.2010.05.008
- Bai, XM, BH. Roberts, J. Chen. 2010. Urban Sustainability Experiment in Asia: Patterns and Pathways. Environmental Science and Policy 13: 312-325. doi:10.1016/j.envsci.2010.03.011.
- Berkhout, F. G. Verbong, A.J. Wieczorek, R. Raven, L. Level, X.M. Bai, 2010. Sustainability experiments in Asia: niches influencing alternative development pathways? Environmental Science and Policy. doi:10.1016/j.envsci.2010.03.010.
- Lin, JY, B. Cao, SH Cui, W. Wang, X.M. Bai. 2010. Evaluating the effectiveness of urban energy conservation and GHG mitigation measures: the case of Xiamen City, China. Energy Policy 38:5123-5132.
- Bai X, Wieczorek A, Kaneko S, Lisson S, Contreras A 2009. Enabling sustainability transition in Asia: the importance of vertical and horizontal linkages. Technological Forecasting and Societal Change 76: 255-266.
- Bai XM. 2008. Urban Transition in China: Trends, Consequences and Policy Implications. In: the New Global Frontier: Urbanization, Poverty and Environment in the 21st Century, G. Martin, G. McGranahan, M. Montgomery and R. FernÃ¡ndez-Castilla (eds). EarthScan, London. Pp:339-356.
- Grimm NB, Faeth SH, Golubiewski NE, Redman CL, Wu JG, Bai XM & Briggs JM, 2008. Global change and the ecology of cities. Science 319: 756-760.
- Newton, P. and Bai, XM, 2008. Transitioning to Sustainable Urban Development. In: Transitions: Pathways Towards Sustainable Urban Development in Australia. P. Newton Ed. CSIRO Publishing and Springer. PP: 3-19.
- Bai, X. 2007 Industrial Ecology and Global Impacts of Cities. Journal of Industrial Ecology 11(2): 1-6.
- Bai, X. 2007 Integrating Global Concerns into Urban Management: The Scale Argument and Readiness Arguments. Journal of Industrial Ecology 11(2): 15-29.
- Xiao, Y., X. Bai, Zh. Ouyang, H. Zheng, 2007. The Composition, Trends, and Environmental Impacts of Municipal Solid Waste in Beijing. Special issue on Monitoring Quality and Characteristics of Municipal Solid Waste in Developing Countries, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 135:21-30.
- Bai, X. and P. Shi, 2006. Pollution Control in China's Huai Basin: What Lessons for Sustainability? Environment 48(7):22-38.
- McGranahan, G., P. Marcotullio, XM. Bai, D. Balk, T. Braga, I. Douglas, T. Elmqvist, W. Rees, D. Satterthwaite, J. Songsore, H. Zlotnick, J. Eades, E.l Ezcurra, A. Whyte. 2005. Urban systems. In: Hassan R, Scholes R, and Ash N (Eds). Ecosystems and human well-being: current state and trends (Millennium Ecosystem Assessment Series). Washington, DC: Island Press.
- Bai, X. 2003. The Process and Mechanism of Urban Environmental Change: An Evolutionary View. International Journal of Environment and Pollution, 19(5):528-541.
- Bai, X. 2002. Industrial Relocation in Asia: A Sound Environmental Management Strategy? Environment 44(5): 8-21.
- Bai, X., and H. Imura 2001. Towards sustainable urban water resource management: A case study in Tianjin, China. Sustainable Development, 9:24-35.
- Bai, X., and H. Imura 2000. A comparative study of urban environment in East Asia: Stage model of urban environmental evolution. International Review for Global Environmental Strategies. 1(1): 135-158.